When it comes to maintaining your car, one of the most important things you can do is make sure that you have the right air filter in place. The air filter helps keep dirt and debris from entering your engine, which can cause damage and reduce performance. Knowing what type of air filter you need for your car is essential for keeping it running smoothly. In this article, we’ll discuss what kind of air filter you should use in your car and how to find the right one for your vehicle.
How to Determine what Type of Air Filter Your Car Needs
There are four things to consider when determining what type of air filter your car needs:
- Check your owner’s manual: The first step in determining what air filter you need for your car is to check the owner’s manual. This will provide you with information about the type of air filter that is recommended for your vehicle. It will also tell you how often it should be changed and any other maintenance requirements related to it.
- Consider the environment: Depending on where you live, the type of air filter you need may vary. If you live in an area with a lot of dust or pollen, then a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter may be necessary to keep your engine clean and running smoothly. On the other hand, if you live in an area with less pollution, then a standard paper filter may be sufficient.
- Consider your driving habits: Your driving habits can also affect which type of air filter is best for your car. If you frequently drive on dirt roads or in areas with heavy traffic, then a higher-grade air filter may be necessary to keep debris out of your engine and maintain optimal performance.
- Choose the right size: Once you’ve determined what type of air filter is best for your car, make sure that it fits properly. The wrong size air filter can cause problems with your car’s performance, so it’s important to get the right one. To find the right size, measure the length and width of your current air filter and compare it to the measurements listed on the new filter you’re considering. If they match up, then you’ve found the right size for your car.
What Types of Car Air Filters are on the Market?
There are five different types of air filters currently on the market:
- Paper filters: These are the most common type of air filter and are made from layers of pleated paper designed to trap dirt, dust, and other airborne particles.
- Foam filters: These filters are made from a foam material that is designed to trap dirt, dust, and other particles before they can enter the engine. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to install, making them a popular choice for many drivers.
- High-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters: These filters are designed to capture even the smallest particles in the air, making them ideal for areas with high levels of pollution or dust.
- Carbon-activated filters: These filters use activated carbon to absorb odors and gases from the air, making them ideal for cars with smelly interiors or those that drive in areas with high levels of exhaust fumes.
- Oiled cotton gauze filters: These filters use oiled cotton gauze material to trap dirt and debris while allowing more airflow than paper or foam filters.
Where to Buy a Car Air Filter?
You can purchase an air filter from your local auto parts store, online retailers, or even directly from the manufacturer. At your local auto parts store, you will be able to find a variety of air filters that are designed specifically for your make and model of car.
Your mechanic is an invaluable resource when it comes to finding the right air filter for your car. At High tech, we can help you determine the size, type, and brand of air filter that will best fit your vehicle’s needs. We can also provide advice on how often you should replace the filter and what type of maintenance is necessary to keep it in good working order. We’ll even change it for you, call us today!