The modern car is a complex machine, and one of the most important components of its operation are the various filters that help keep it running smoothly. From air filters to fuel filters, these components play an essential role in ensuring your vehicle runs efficiently and safely. In this article, we will discuss the different types of filters found in cars and their purpose.
Six Types of Filters in Your Car
There are six types of filters located in most vehicles. They are:
- Air Filter: This filter is responsible for removing dust, dirt, and other debris from the air entering the engine.
- Oil Filter: This filter helps to remove contaminants from the engine oil, ensuring that it remains clean and free of debris.
- Fuel Filter: This filter helps to remove any impurities from the fuel before it enters the engine, helping to improve performance and reduce emissions.
- Cabin Air Filter: This filter helps to keep the air inside your car clean by filtering out dust, pollen, and other airborne particles.
- Transmission Filter: This filter helps to keep transmission fluid clean and free of debris, ensuring that your vehicle shifts smoothly and efficiently.
- PCV Valve Filter: The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve helps regulate pressure in the crankcase by allowing air to escape while preventing oil vapors from entering the intake manifold or exhaust system. A PCV valve filter keeps dirt and other contaminants out of this system as well as reducing emissions levels.
Consequences of Not Changing Your Filters
Not changing your car’s filters can have serious consequences for the performance and longevity of your vehicle. The six types of filters in a car are air, fuel, oil, cabin air, transmission and coolant. Each filter is responsible for trapping dirt and debris from entering the engine or other parts of the car. When these filters become clogged with dirt and debris, it can cause a decrease in performance and fuel economy, as well as an increase in emissions. It can also lead to more frequent breakdowns and costly repairs.
Where to Get New Filters
Nowadays, you can find pretty much all the filters you need online at big box retailers or specialty parts stores. However, we always recommend supporting your local parts store. Air and oil filters are typically available at auto parts stores, while fuel filters and cabin air filters can often be found at dealerships. Transmission and coolant filters may need to be ordered from the manufacturer or a specialty parts store.
Change Your Filters on Schedule
The six types of filters found in cars are essential components for ensuring that your vehicle runs efficiently and safely. From air filters to fuel filters, these components help to keep your car clean and free of contaminants while also reducing emissions levels. It is important to regularly check and replace these filters as needed in order to maintain optimal performance from your vehicle. If you’d like your filters changed by a professional call us today.